Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Jicama Citrus Salad

I call this my Jicama Citrus Salad because the Jicama and grapefruit are the stars of this tasty show!

You're no stranger to salads when you're on the Paleo Diet. As a matter of fact, I'm beginning to think I'm having a love affair with a salad.  At least green is my favorite color.

In order to keep this food junkie interested, it's important for me to find new takes on the traditional salad.  This is one of my favorites so far...

Jicama Citrus Salad
  • Salad Base
  • Jicama
  • Grapefruit (wedge over lettuce so all the juice helps to dress the salad)
  • Avacado
  • Onion
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Grilled Chicken
  • Balsamic Honey Dressing 
  • Good Vibes
Salad Base
When I chop lettuce, I chop enough for a few days and add shredded carrot, cucumber, and snow peas (a legume, I know.  They don't aggravate my colitis, so I eat 'em.... sue me).  This is typically the base for most of my salads.  I change up the types of lettuce and will occasionally add purple cabbage.  I store it in a big zip lock bag and it keeps well.

Balsamic Honey Dressing
The measurements here aren't exact ... I just mix it up until I like it!
1/3 c. Balsamic Vinegar
2/3 c. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Honey
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

Obviously, you can make this salad as large or small as you'd like, changing things to suit your taste.  It's a refreshing, scrumptious salad.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment